Sunday, April 12, 2009

Reading Homework

I am almost done with the reading assignment that the rabbi gave to us. He wanted us to read a few chapters in the book The New Jewish Wedding.

Reading that made me feel a bit better about picking and choosing the religious traditions I want to do, and those that I feel are not for me.

For example, there is a Jewish wedding tradition called yichud. It basically says that just after the ceremony, the bride and groom are to be locked away in a room together for about 15 minutes. This tradition comes from the fact that it is supposed to be the first time that the bride and groom are alone together. Ummm, a little late for that. So that is scratched off the list...

I also have no desire to circle around Aron 3 or 7 times when we get under the Huppah. Apparently the root of that tradition is to ward off evil spirits. No thank you.

The reading was also helpful because it talks about what is Jewish law versus Jewish custom. Most of the rituals during a wedding come from custom, and so skipping out on the ones I don't want to do doesn't seem like a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment