I have been working on getting your birth story typed up, but it has taken me a long time to get it all finished. Mostly because you like to he held a lot, and it is hard to type and hold you at the same time. It is quite the long story as your birth was nothing like I imagined it to be.
Your birth was far from what I expected it to be, but none
of that matters because you sit here today perfect and healthy.
You were due on either April 27 or 28 depending on which
doctor and what chart they were looking at.
Daddy and I answered the 27th whenever we were asked. But that didn’t matter because both the 27
and 28 came and went without you making an appearance. I was beginning to feel like you were never
going to be ready. However, on April 29,
I started to feel contractions, but nothing serious. We decided to take Puck to the dog park and
go for a walk. Just as dad and I were
finally laying down for bed around 9:30pm, a strange feeling came over me. I knew right away that my water broke. I also knew very quickly that there was meconium
(you just couldn’t wait!). I called the
doctor, and as I expected, she told us to come to the hospital. As we walked out of the house, I took a look
around to remember what it was like, because I knew it was never going to be
the same again.
I’ll spare you the details of the mess we made in the
hospital, but we left a nice green trail from the ER all the way to the 5th
floor labor and delivery area. We got
into a labor room pretty quickly because it was obvious that this was the real
deal. It was around 11pm. Dad and I were both exhausted so the nurse
gave me something to help me sleep. In
the meantime, contractions had begun. As
I expected, I requested the epidural pretty early on. I was able to doze on and off through the
night. However, I was unable to move all
night because every time I tried, your heart rate dropped.
Here’s where the complications began. I had a fever, and it was pretty high. That meant that I had developed an infection
after my water broke. Even after taking
Tylenol, the fever was still high. The
doctor told me I could continue labor with you as long as you seemed strong and
I kept making progress. This is around
the same time that I found out a NICU stay was in your future. My infection meant that you needed
antibiotics right after birth. I was sad
to know we would be separated, but I knew that I was going to let them do
anything they needed to make sure you were ok.
Labor seemed to be going well despite being unable to change
positions and the high fever until about 4pm on April 30. I stopped making progress. This was the first mention of a possible c
section. The doctor told me I could
continue a little longer before we had to stop.
Unfortunately, by 7pm I had not made any more progress again. Because of the infection and the fact that
this had been going on for almost 24 hours, the doctor began to worry about you. As soon as she told me that continuing was
going to put you at a higher risk of getting sick, I knew that we needed you
out now. I consented to the c section. I was scared for both you and me. Grandma Sherry and Grandpa Andrew were
allowed back to see me before surgery after your dad convinced the doctor that
it was necessary that I see them.
At 8pm I was being prepped for surgery. Everything happened very quickly after
that. I heard you arrive into the world
at 8:11 pm on April 30, 2012. You were
absolutely perfect and screaming your little head off. You also peed all over the doctor and the
entire OR. 8 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches. Dad got a great picture of you before you
were taken to the NICU to get antibiotics in case I passed something to
you. I sent dad to the waiting room to
let the rest of the family know you had made your arrival while I was getting stitched
up.
After I was done in recovery, I finally got to go see
you. I knew I loved you before you were
born, but seeing you in person for the first time was better than I imagined it
could be.
The doctors informed me that you didn’t have a fever, so if
you stayed fever free for 24 hours, you could join me in my room. I spent the whole next day visiting you in
the NICU, and as promised, you were brought to me that night.
Your birth was not as I imagined it would be, but I still
got my perfect, happy, healthy little boy.
So in the end, that is all that matters.
Love,
Mom





No comments:
Post a Comment